Teachers that give blog hop & giveaway
I'm excited to be joining the Teacher's That Give Blog Hop and Giveaway. To help you through the holiday season, several teacher bloggers have joined forces to showcase some of their great products as well as a giveaway. We will be raffling off a $25 Amazon gift card. You can enter the raffle at the end of the blog post.
Be sure to check the other blogs below!
kindness projects for kids
With the holidays just around the corner, it's easy to get lost in the busyness of the season: decorating the house, shopping for presents, sending out Christmas cards, planning for quality family time during winter break.
However, the holiday season is also a fantastic time to spread the cheer to others. It is an opportune time to get children involved and an excellent teaching moment on the importance kindness and showing empathy and compassion towards others.
Kindness Activity for the Classroom and Home
When starting any giving or kindness activity, I like to help the children get into the mindset of helping others. I've participated in service crafting projects where students jump right into the project without introducing the social issue. When not in the right mindset, children ask to keep the project instead of giving it away.
To prevent this, it's best to start with an activity, book or video about giving. Below are some suggestions of our favorite books.
- BOOK: Miles of Smiles by Karen Kaufman Orloff - a sweet book that starts with a baby smiling at someone. It then follows the smile on its journey as it travels from person to person and spreading joy and happiness wherever it goes.
- BOOK: Giving Thanks: More than 100 ways to say thank you - a wonderful book as we join a little boy on his journey of saying thank you in 100 ways. It is a great book to show children, even at their age they can be kind and thankful.
- VIDEO: Color Your World with Kindness - a beautiful video created by A Better World that shows how being kind can brighten our world.
- VIDEO: How to Change the World (A Work in Progress) | Kid President - an inspiring video by the Kid President who challenges children that they can make the world a better place.
After reading the book or watching the video, here are some simple questions as a conversation started about kindness:
- What was your favorite part of the book or video?
- What does it mean to be kind?
- Can you tell me of some ways you can be kind?
- How can you make others happy?
A simple activity that children can enjoy at school or at home is to make kindness notes to pass out to friends, families or even just someone they think could use something to brighten their day.
Directions for Kindness Cards
Download Kindness Sayings PDF by clicking on the above picture
Cut out each Kindness Saying
Glue each saying onto some decorative paper
Give the Kindness Note to someone to brighten their day
After giving the kindness note, ask your student or child how it made them feel. Let them reflect on the act of kindness.
A simple but powerful kindness act are handing out blessing bags for those in need. Blessing bags are sweet gestures where children can actively participate in the act of giving and kindness. And not only do the can actively participate in the act of giving, but they can also experience the appreciation of the recipient.
Blessing Bags Directions:
- Fill a ziplock bag with basic necessities (food, shampoo, soaps, hand warmers, socks, hand sanitizer, etc.)
- Insert a note of kindness
- Give the blessing bag to someone in need
We hope these ideas will carry-on and encourage your students and children to continue acts of kindness and giving on a regular basis. Whether it's helping a family member out, helping someone cross the street, or a community-wide service project, every act, no matter how big or small, makes a difference.
Please be sure to let us know if you tried any of these projects and share pictures of children spreading the kindness!
TEACHER THAT GIVE GIVEAWAY
$25 AMAZON GIFT CARD
As a thank you for reading this post and following us on one of our social media account, I wanted to giveaway a $25 Amazon Gift Card.
- Enter your Name and Email Below
- Follow one of our Social Media Accounts
- After following one of our accounts, just write down 'FOLLOWED' in the blank space
- Raffle Ends Saturday, December 4th at 12:00 am.